Tuesday, April 16, 2013

because I can



I wasn't supposed to run today.

But the bombings that occurred at the finish line of the Boston Marathon yesterday has left me feeling the need to do so today.

So today, once the kidlets are in bed, I will run. Because I can. Because I feel the need to. On behalf of those thousands of marathon runners who yesterday, after training so very hard to accomplish their goals, were forced to stop at the last mile of the race. Because someone (or some organization) decided to replace pride and joy with fear and violence.

But, amongst all the shock and disgust I felt as information began to hit the airwaves and Internet, I  also felt pride... towards all the people - the volunteers, the spectators, the EMT, the police officers and the RUNNERS who had already crossed the finish line - whose first response to the bombs were to run TOWARDS the blasts in order to give help where they could. And to the runners who were halted a mile from the finish line that decided to then head to the medical tent or to the nearest hospital to give blood - you are true heroes.

Today, I feel lucky to be part of such a wonderful community and to call myself a runner.

My prayers are in Boston today as they continue to search for answers.

2 comments: