Monday, April 15, 2013

Another hurdle completed - 8k

Sunday morning I woke up with my alarm clock and looked outside and may or may not have uttered a word that rhymes with duck. There was this mix of wet snow and rain falling from the sky and I had a date with Caroline and Robin to run my first ever 8k.

These ladies have a lot more confidence in me than I do in myself... On more than one occasion, I was told that I had proved I could do this when I ran the 7k last weekend and that I was "doing it" when I felt like I was just about to puke (not that I actually admitted that to them though!).

But, I DID do it, and in less than stellar circumstances too!

This Sunday was the first time since starting running with this 10k group where I really did feel like I was left behind. Where the running room group was MUCH to fast for me to even keep them in my sight, and where none of the 3 "leaders" running with our group came back to see if they had left anyone behind (HELLO BACK HERE!!!!). Needless to say, I was really REALLY grateful to have 2 confident and patient running friends running along my side.

It only took just over 1k before the "group" went off their planned route... and they likely added about half a km onto their route by doing so too. But, it was not until somewhere around the 3 km point that we were left in the dust. I can honestly say they probably didn't even know we were back there.

The three of us in the back found our way back to the running room and chose our paths according to Robin's knowledge of the area and the help of their Garmins to tell us our distance.

When we got back to the running room, Robin was quick to give back "constructive feedback" to one of the leaders by reminding her that those in the back end of the run... those are the ones who NEED the extra support... and that PERHAPS it might be a good idea to have a strong runner (leader) stay back with THOSE people rather than running ahead with the people who are already able to cover the distance and are just looking to improve.

Robin, you are my hero. Although those who know me well know I don't usually have any difficulty speaking up, when I am the one who feels "little" (in this case, a slow poke, holding people back, not "good enough" for the rest of the group), I become introverted and tend to keep to myself. Thank you for being my voice. :)

In the end, we clocked in at one hour and twenty seconds... mostly 10:1s with one interval having a bit more of a walk so that I could review the route.

I'm finding it difficult to look at the distance without saying something negative about the pace that goes along with it, but I am trying to reflect on how far I have come. The other thing I am excited about... running 5k is no longer exhausting. On Sunday, it took me until 6k before I felt myself start to really feel bagged... which means my scheduled 5k race in a couple weeks will have me finishing STRONG rather than feeling like I am falling over that finish line. :)

This week introduces hills... I'm a bit terrified.

3 comments:

Mis(s)Mannered Mom said...

I'm very impressed by the strides (literally and figuratively) you are making, and the positive attitude to go with it!

Katie is always reminding me to "get the distance" and "save speed for later" when I have the endurance. I KNOW what it feels like to want to be faster, and have a faster pace...but you know Miss Katie. She's always right. :)


I love that Robin said what she did! That's what those leaders are supposed to be there for, and she was absolutely right in pointing it out!

Chantal said...

way to go! That pace is awesome. I can barely get through 5K in 38 minutes so I think your 10K time is awesome!

Glad Robin spoke up for you guys. Had you guys not known the area and had a Garmin that situation could have had a very different ending. I am glad you didn't get lost/have your run ruined.

Anonymous said...

I am glad she spoke up too, I tend to not speak up either, get worried etc. However, this is one complaint I have heard over and over about RR groups that scares off people who feel they are too slow to join up (like me, Mrs. 8:30 per KM LSD) ;)

Nothing wrong with our pace though. I was happy with that pace, and I think it was a really lovely morning run, even if you were secretly trying not to puke (I would have held your hair back if you did, jes sayin'). I knew you would get the distance done though. You have a very solid base built to begin adding distance. Annnnd... Once you have more of a base, you can get quicker.

Also? Hills will make you faster. I *%$^ing hate hills, but I do them because I know how much they improve me. Embrace the hill, love the hill, swear at it a lot and it makes it easier. *RARRR*

Proud of you, happy to run with you, and looking forward to the next run!