Monday, April 22, 2013

Another one bites the dust

There is a reason hill training is normally a Wednesday event. A long run on a Sunday after ding hill training on Friday???? Yeah - not so pleasant.

The schedule had my run as either a(nother) 8k or a full 10k this week and I decided a repeat of last weekend's 8k was best for me and my sanity.

After rolling out my leg muscles using a rolling pin (yes, you read right!) the night before, they felt tired but ready to run on Sunday morning. I was again joined my my cheer team Caroline and Robin for my run (though those two super stars kept going after running the 8k with me and continued to the 10k mark). Surely thanks to Robin's "feedback" last weekend, the three of us were also joined by group leader Lian who stuck with us the whole way; giving Robin and Caroline the opportunity to go a little faster at times.

I still find it difficult to accept that I am not "holding people back" when they run with me. It is a constant mind-struggle of mine and I really REALLY hope one day I can concur it. I found myself proud of completing the 8k without "cheating the distance" and even ensuring I RAN up all the hills on the course (even if it meant I walked up to the bottom of the hills in order to get my endurance back) but still calling myself the "tortoise" of the group when posting my stats on facebook when I arrived home post-run.

What I have to keep repeating to myself and wish I could welcome as my mantra is that in the end, the tortoise wins the race.

When will the competitive little girl in me learn to believe (or at least accept) what everyone else is telling me?

This past week, I have again accomplished much. I ran the fastest pace I have ever run while running for Boston on Tuesday; I ran my first hill intervals and not 2 days later I ran my second 8k (with a few hills along the way!).

And I'm (trying) to own it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did own it! You covered the distance, you ran the hills, and you stuck to your plan to be there and give it your best.

I feel like I hold people back too, since I am also slow. yes, I am. Last year, it made me stop running with my husband, because I felt like I held him back. I felt left behind at Run Club a few times last fall, and discouraged by it briefly. But I also know this (now). A mile is a mile. No matter how fast or slow you run it. You are out there, banking that run. You are out there, making it happen. That has just as much respect and credibility as the fast runner whisping along and finishing in half the time. And I KNOW that people will give you props for being there.

I am competitive too, and it kills me to know I have such a long way to go with my running to be "competitive". I will never be as fast as those 15 minute 5kers. I will never post splits of sub 5. I used to really care about that, and be uspet by that.

Now though, since stepping back from pushing distance and time this winter and just rediscovering the joy of running, that drive to be fast, to constantly push the PR has lessened. Now, I just want to get out, enjoy the time, own my run and run happy.

I am really proud of you and your progress.

Also? I love putting my marble rolling pin in the fridge and then using it. Ahhhhhh.....

Donna said...

It will make you feel better to run with me tomorrow! You will get to push me and urge me on and it will feel like you're giving back. It all comes back - what you get you will give and it's a great freakin' cycle. You continue to inspire me and I love hearing about you running longer and longer each week. Yay you!!

Kataroo said...

the "deets" don't matter as long as you are happy, and your doing your best. For the longest time I have wanted a shirt that says "My race, my pace" like Caroline said..OWN IT..Own you accomplishments...as there are many :)

Allee said...

Good for you for getting it done. I know I will never be as fast as my husband and he is the reason I started to run but I am the reason I continue to run. I will never qualify for Boston or Kona and I am cool with that, it's my run, my way and ever day I get out is for me.

Mis(s)Mannered Mom said...

I SO hear what you're saying, and I have to agree with Caroline.

I will never be sub 5 or a 15min 5k'er. That said though, I think every single runner I know struggles with the desire to be faster. Not necessarily "as fast" as whomever, but just....faster.

I think as long as you keep doing your best, pushing yourself, getting out there running....You'll be impressing yourself with every single milestone.

I'm super competitive, and I just keep focused on how far I've come-not how far I want to go. One step at a time.

:)

Keep it up!